Learning Process

I thank Mom for helping me want to learn.

I had a pretty carefree upbringing. Being homeschooled in California tended to make for happy, sunny times. New Mexico was the same, except for the snow in the winter.

Mom was pretty hands-off, encouraging self-motivated schooling, which worked really well for me.

But, what stuck with me was how Mom was constantly reading, writing, and learning.

And I think it was all the times I would walk into her room and find her nose in a book, or her fingers rapidly striking the keys on her keyboard that impressed upon me how important education was, and that it wouldn't stop once I graduated.

And it hasn't.

I'm actually amazed at the information I have picked up in the last 10 years since I graduated from college. Makes me want to go back and get a few more degrees. You know...when I have time...some day.

In the meantime, I can study on my own.

Some of the best lessons I have learned have come from trying to raise my littles.

Like, you really need something sweet in smoothies to get children to drink them (honey is my friend).

This morning I used orange juice (we don't usually buy juice, but did for Conference weekend) in the smoothie, and I knew I had done it right when Eden was moaning while she drank it, and was gulping it enthusiastically, gargling the last little bit, and then slammed the cup on the table with a satisfied, gasping sigh.

And that coconut oil is magical for skin, and has made it so that I don't even want to wear foundation anymore (Shocking, right?).

I also have learned that just because something is natural doesn't mean it's good for you.

Take carrageenan, for instance.

It comes from seaweed.

They put it in almond milk, chocolate milk, and even in some guacamole.

And it causes gut diseases.

Which is why I couldn't handle raw onions for 4 years. Because my gut was all rotty.

Anyway.

There ya go.

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.

Comments

Katscratchme said…
My head is filled with useless as well as useful information... I like the useless kind because there's no pressure. :D

Popular Posts