Basil Soup



One of my most favorite soups in the whole world is basil soup. It's a modified version of a soup I found in a book once, and it evolved into something completely my own.This soup is one of those great comforting foods in the fall and winter, when warm things soothe the soul and the body. The basil's cool flavor reminds me a little of licorice sometimes, and it's a nice compliment to the hot soup, balancing it out so to speak. What's also nice is that my kids like it (save Josh, who is only pro chili--recipe to come...), and so I don't have to deal with fights at the dinner table about it. Which is nice. Since I don't like fights. Or picky eaters.

What's great about it is that it's pretty versatile. I switch things up now and then, throwing in some chopped spinach if I'm feeling fancy, or adding more vegetables, since I happen to really like squishy carrots and celery. I prefer using white beans, since they are small, but navy beans aren't too shabby. Sometimes I don't throw in the potatoes, or use rice instead, since the beans are pretty hearty, but today I did both. I chopped the potatoes up while Lily threw little chicken bouillon cubes into the pot with a flourish.

Basil Soup

Printable Version

6-8 cups chicken broth (I typically use bouillon cubes, but sometimes canned broth. Both work.)
3 diced potatoes (Russet, Red, New, whatever floats your boat)
4 chopped carrots
4 chopped celery sticks
1 white onion, diced    
1 15 oz can white or navy beans
1 15 oz can corn or 2 cups frozen corn
1 heaping table spoon minced garlic
1 heaping tablespoon dried basil, or to taste (I really like basil)
Pepper to taste

Directions: Combine all ingredients into large pot and simmer 25-60 minutes (I usually let it simmer all day, because I love the smell, and it gives the flavors time to mature, but 25 minutes will work if you are in a hurry). 

Note: If you want to use rice, you can just throw in half a cup dry, and it will cook just fine. I don't use minute rice, just typically jasmine, brown, or wild. The brown and wild will take longer to cook, so just let it simmer for about an hour, and then test it. 

Comments

Trillium said…
YUM! I want some!

Popular Posts