Fluid

I wrote a blog post once, about becoming solid.

I remember writing that post, and feeling elated.

My thoughts today are somewhat different.

I think that it's the natural progression in life to become firmer in our convictions. At least, I hope that everyone at some point does.

I originally thought that maybe that firmness would be the end. Once set you're done.

I don't think that anymore.

I think that we come to a point in our lives when we've hardened, and that is the time when one of two things happens:

1) The Lord breaks the pottery.

or

2) The Lord fires it.

Either way, the process doesn't seem all that pleasant. Necessary, but still bone-chilling.

In the first case, I can see the Lord breaking that pottery for one reason, and one reason only:

The pottery was defective.

And the only reason it would be is if the clay tried to make itself into something. Without hands to feel and form, or eyes to see and judge, it would be a sad bit of pottery indeed. So, it is broken down and rebaptized in the Potter's well.

In the second case, when the Lord fires the clay, it is after He is satisfied with the work of His hands. And it is time to put it to the test. The trial by fire.

Heaven knows we've all had those times. The difference between real clay and potter's clay is that we choose what goes into the clay. Are we made up of the stuff that can withstand the fire?

So, I'm no longer interested in becoming solid.

I'm more interested in staying fluid, so that I'm more easily molded in the Lord's hands.

I'm willing to let Him take His time, to get me right.

Then, when that trial of fire comes, and it will, I know that I won't break. 

Comments

Popular Posts